The last couple of weeks I had lots of talks with PhD students. The thing that struck me the most was that PhD students don’t talk. Yes, they talk to me, because I am an outsider and not too scary and I know so much about the process of getting your PhD.
After talking to me for a while I noticed that then they dare to make a step to talk! Talk to their supervisor that is. Despite their insecurity.
Of course I can’t talk to every PhD student but I would really like to recommend to talk to your supervisor. For instance if:
- you don’t know which step to make
- you have the idea things are not going so well
- you have the feeling that you are not productive
- you know you are doing a lot, except being busy with your PhD
- you don’t really know what is expected of you
- you would like different feedback. Have a look here how to change that
- maybe you will need a different kind of support
- you want to know if you are still on the right track
- just because things are not going as they should go
Take the step!
Your own attitude during a meeting could also be very important. The way you act during a meeting will have a big influence on the communication process.
Is it still really tricky? Fake it till you make it.
And of course you can always talk to me. I would love to figure out together how to make your PhD a success. Please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Do you want to stay informed about all the handy tips, tricks and tools? Receive 244 #phd tips and get the newsletter as a bonus! Register here.